Thursday, March 28, 2019

Smallmouth Fly Box DDH Craw



SMFB DDH Craw | Talon Hook
I met Stu Thompson at the Great Waters Fly Fishing Show a few weeks back.  When I got home I ordered a few packs of dubbing and three of his finished DDH Leech flies.  The DDH Leech is a very nice pattern, but was a little on the small side for me.  I hopped online and found the Talon hooks Stu uses on the original.

A barred marabou tail, orange sili-legs, Dungeon Copper Kraken dubbing,  hot orange Senyo laser dub and a small Darkwater Dubbing head (around the dumbbell eyes).  Nothing too crazy...a simple tail followed up by a few dubbing loops and it is done. 

The Talon hook used is a traditional salmon hook (sometimes called an "iron").  Stu uses the clothespin section near the hook eye to stabilize the dumbbell eye.  The flat spot does a great job to prevent the dumbbells from spinning...

Size 4 Talon Salmon Iron

Here is a close-up of the return on the hook eye.  Stu binds the gap closed with thread and sets the dumbbell eye on the flat spot.  Amazing how great it works!

I apologize for the junk pictures, it is really dark outside and I was using some bad lighting.  I will try to take better pictures tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment