Monday, July 4, 2016

Goodbye Vintage



I never thought I'd say this, but my fascination with older glass fly rods and reels is over.  Don't get me wrong, from a collectors standpoint it was very fun to collect vintage glass fishing gear.  Along with the rods came some interest in classic fly reels.

Over the past few months I have been fishing more than I have been in years.  I have been using modern gear lately and  must admit that the modern stuff works better for me.

I have not been able to fish much in the past decade.  My career and my kids took the front seat to my hobbies.  If I want to get Freudian I must have collected the vintage gear to satisfy my fishing bug.  Now that I am actually out there fishing I am finding the new gear to be more up my alley.

For smallies I have settled on a 9wt and 7wt TFO Clouser series rods.  I am still a little cheap when it comes to reels.  The 7wt is paired with a Redington Behemoth and the 9wt is married to a Lamson Konic.  Not the highest quality reels, but I'll get there eventually.

In the coming months I will begin unloading my vintage collection on Ebay.  No way can I sell them all (some are just too cool), but the majority will be sold to fund a few new lines and God forbid....nicer reels.

Time to get out there and fish rather than collect!

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the vintage gear. And with the exception of two rods - glass in general. Every time I take out glass, at the end of the day my shoulder is screaming!

    I can take my graphite out and have very little pain at the end of the day.

    Since someone will ask - the glass I kept is the Moonlit Fly Fishing Shadowcast 5wt and the ever present Eagle Claw FL300-7. The Eagle Claw was kept for sentimental reasons and the Moonlit because it's relatively fast for glass and it's a good rod.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doug, I don't know if I deserve it, but I want first dibs on the chance to buy whatever rods you decide to get rid of. Not the reels, though...I have tried to like vintage reels but never found any I liked. I'll be in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Scott. Sorry for the slow response... I will have to get you a list of rods after my house renovation. All of my vintage rods are packed away safe and sound for about the next 6 months. I am with you on the reels....not a big fan either. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Scott. Sorry for the slow response... I will have to get you a list of rods after my house renovation. All of my vintage rods are packed away safe and sound for about the next 6 months. I am with you on the reels....not a big fan either. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not been fishing much lately but I was given many vintage items as hand me downs. I have not had the opportunity to use them as much as I like but it's good to know that they may not perform as I would like. Thanks for the insight and happy fishing!

    ReplyDelete