Monday, September 6, 2010

The Sweaty Yeti

Recipe
Hook: Mustad 9672 (Size 4)
Tail: Spirit River Mottlebou
Tail 2: Pumpkin Sili Legs
Tail 3: Grizzly Saddle Hackle
Tail 4: Silver Krystal Flash
Body: Cream Angora Yarn
Collar/Head: Deer Hair
Weight: Small Silver Cone

This is my interpretation of Tony Stifter's Wilderdilch seen in Chris Niskanen's article on the Snake River in the St Paul Pioneer Press in July of 2010.

The Wilderdilch is a great pattern, kudos to Tony. I chose to shorten the saddle hackles used in the tail. I personally don't like the use of feathers for tails, to me they are far too fragile. I'll probably substitute the saddle hackles for some synthetic material in the future. Overall the tail section on my version needs to be longer, but this is a good start.

I took a few key features from Kelly Galloup's Zoo Cougar and also the Cone Head Madonna. A Northern Minnesota Sweaty Yeti? My youngest son has a knack for naming flies! All I know is this Yeti will be sweaty hauling in fall smallies with this pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment