Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Silver Bullet


Recipe
Hook: Daiichi 1730 Stonefly Nymph Hook (Size 8)
Thread: White Flat Waxed Nylon
Tail: Gray Marabou
Body: Hareline Silver Holographic Ice Dubbing
Eyes: Large Bead Chain

This little fly is outstanding crappie and big bluegills. Since we are right around the corner from crappies, I thought I should post the pattern. You can certainly add sili-legs, wings, fancier eyes.....I've experimented with all of that stuff and this simple version seems to be the best.

The whole pattern hinges on the Diiachi hook. The 1730 Stonefly Nymph hook has a hump in the shank that gives the fly a little dancing motion when it is stripped. This hook can be purchased at the Canadian Llama Company for a good price.


I fish this fly on a light rig, typically a 4/5 weight in spring. Cast The Bullet out and let it sink, most times I let it hit bottom and then start stripping it in with sharp strips. Periodically stop stripping and let the streamer drop. This is when the hits usually occur.

I know this hook is pretty specialized, but it is worth the grief of mail ordering. This is my go to pattern for early season panfish. In fact, I ordered a size 4 version of this hook to tie up a bassified version for later this summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment