Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fishy's Smallmouth Fly


Recipe
Hook:  Mustad 3366 (Size 4)
Thread:  6/0 Orange Uni
Body:  Brown/Green Variegated Chenille
Wing:  Spirit River Mottlebou
Wing 2:  Orange Span-Flex
Eyes:  Black Medium Bead Chain (4 beads)

This is my smallmouth bass version of Fly Fish Ohio's - Fishy's Bonefish Fly.  This is such a simple, but very cool pattern to tie.  In hindsight I probably should have left the Span-Flex longer, but this still has great action in the water.

Sometimes the simplest details escape us.  The bead chain eyes on this pattern (4 instead of 2) is just great.  No matter how this thing hits the water it lands facing up on the bottom.  The materials have great action in the water!

I may also use a different hook in the future, but I fish mainly in rocky sections of the Mississippi.  The Mustad 3366 is cheap and I have thousands to burn...

Thanks again for posting the original pattern Joe (Cornwall)!

No comments:

Post a Comment