Thursday, February 25, 2010

Skip's Dad


Recipe
Hook: 2XL to 3XL. Daiichi 1260 (Size 6) Shown
Thread: 6/0 Brown Uni
Tail: Pheasant Tail Fibers
Body: Thick Dubbed Squirrel/Rabbit Blend
Shellback: Pheasant Tail Fibers/Copper Wire
Claws: Pheasant Tail Fibers
Weight: Small Dumbbell (Unpainted)

This is a smallmouth imitation that I planned to stop using in 2010 because I thought it was "too small" for smallmouth bass. Now this puppy is on the top of my fly box after reading Will Ryan's book and looked through my fishing journal from last year. My largest bass were caught on this pattern and other smaller crayfish-like imitations.

In keeping with the information from Ryan's book I kept this pattern light in color, small in size (1 1/2") and the claws are thin. Hopefully this pattern will help me land the toad I have been looking for!

I may try to tie up a few of the crayfish Will Ryan has posted in his book. Additionally, I may tie this patterns with shorter pinchers. Will Ryan's pattern has no pinchers at all! Just a gob of bucktail, rabbit and fox fur and some grouse feather for legs. We'll see how things turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment